Halloween is a great time to teach manners to our children and how to be both gracious and grateful to others. Parents: role-play the steps below with your children. Have them ring your own doorbell and provide a little coaching.
- Ring doorbells or knock on doors once, then be patient as you wait for the door to open. Don’t pound on doors or ring bells repeatedly.
- Make eye contact with homeowners when they open their door and smile as you say “Trick or Treat”.
- When the candy is dropped into your bag, be sure to say “thank you”, making eye contact again and smiling—even when it’s candy you don’t like. 🙂
- If you’re told you can reach into the candy bowl yourself, take one piece, not a handful.
- If they compliment your costume, say “thank you” again!
© Jill Bremer 2016